October 22, 2009 - kenshinjeff
mp3tag to solve all your mp3 tagging woes
mp3tag is free windows software to solve all your mp3 tagging woes
This is what you need to know:
- It’s free.
- It’s useful.
- It works.
Basically the tags for my chinese mp3s were all messed up, so I went onto my trusty lifehacker and started searching for apps that can fix that for me. The short answer is, if windows media player can’t read your tags properly, you’re fucked. Either that or you can install something like NJWin to view it, which kinda defeats the purpose if you’ld ask me.
Fortunately for me, the filenames were more or less in a standard naming convention, so I only hand to drag the mp3 files into mp3tag, and select filename to id3, run it through a formatting filter, viola. Automagic! Can you say 4 gigabytes of renaming the mp3 id tags properly in less than 2 minutes? I’m pretty sure you can also download album art and what not for it, but I use minilyrics for that (Yes I’m a ktv freak).
Nifty. Recommend. Blog.
From the wiki:
Mp3tag is a freeware metadata editor for many audio file formats. It runs on Microsoft Windows.
It includes support for the following audio formats: AAC, FLAC, APE, MP3, MPEG-4 (mp4/m4a/m4b/iTunes compatible), MPC, OGG, OptimFROG OFR, OFS, SPX, TAK, TTA, WMA, WV
Features from the wiki:
- Writes ID3v1.1, ID3v2, APEv2, MP4, WMA tags and Vorbis comments to multiple files simultaneously.
- Full Unicode support
- Support for embedded album cover art
- Automatically creates playlists
- Recursive subfolder support
- Remove parts of a tag or the entire tag from multiple files
- Rename files based on the tag information
- Import tags from filenames
- Format tags and filenames
- Replace characters or words from tags and filenames
- Regular expressions
- Export tag information to user-defined formats (i.e. HTML, RTF, CSV, XML)
- Import tag information from online databases like freedb or Amazon (also by text-search)
- Import tag information from local freedb databases
- Support for ID3v2.3 (ISO-8859-1 and UTF-16) and ID3v2.4 with UTF-8